So recently in my blog feed I saw this title and to be honest I began to feel some type of way. Not because of the heriom of this lady as she risked her life to save many children, but because I don’t understand why it had to be titled as such. I don’t quite get why the reader has to be enlighten on the race of this person. Why does it matter what color she was? Isn’t what’s most important is that children were saved and another human being helped them?
Daily in this country people feel the need to put labels on people. In my opinion that is why there is so much division amomgest us. Did the author label this as such to let the readers know that not all black people are bad and that there are some really good caring ones out there? Who knows, but sometimes I wish we could be blindfolded and see no color, just another human being. I bet then racism, hatred and labels would quickly be a second thought. With blindfolds no one will think they are better than the next because we would need to depend on each other to make it in this life.
This post is not to tell anyone to deny their heritage, but why so many labels? Job and college applications have gotten to be way too much. We’re all human. All of our blood is red. We we’re all born and we are all gonna die one day. If any label should had been placed on this lady it simply should had be hero! Or how about simply giving her honor by saying her name in the title and not her race.
But those are just my thoughts…
I can only speak for myself when I say 2016 has been an amazing year! I don’t really write resolutions, but I do make goals. I do want to be better at the end of a year than I was at the beginning. I am convinced I achieved this.
At times maintaining focus was quite difficult with raising two young boys, running them to various things in and out of school. I also became a newlywed, so now I must also give my husband attention. And I work full time like most Americans. I admit, feeling tired most days is an understatement. Yet, I try to press ahead so I’m not a waster of the time God has granted me with.
I blogged, I published two books, I went on two vacations, I got married, I celebrated one year as a homeowner, I started a non profit for children, joined a new church, and I became a volunteer at an elderly facility. Yep, I stayed busy, but it has been an amazing year.
My focus every year is to be a better person I was the year before. I also want to be a blessing to more people every year. Helping people in need is my motivation and passion. I want people to know God has not forgotten about them and I want them to experience his love by anything I can do to help.
2016 has been amazing. Each year seems better than the last. I am grateful for God’s favor on my life. I am appreciative of all his blessings. I’m excited to see how 2017 will unfold. Excited to see the new people I will meet. Excited to see the places I will go. Excited to see the many people I will be able to help.
How was your year?
Please check out and follow my nonprofit on Instagram and Facebook. (Onecandleatatime) Share and spread the word about surprise birthday parties for children.
So, I recently read the blog below and it inspired me to write my own list so my blog readers could learn alittle about me.
30 THINGS YOU DON’T KNOW ABOUT ME – http://wp.me/p4CIYe-sP
So here we go…
1. As a child I was afraid of the dark. Now I need complete darkness to sleep.
2. I have OCD.
3. On time to me is being late. All my clocks are set 5-10mins ahead of the actually time.
4. I go to bed by 9pm at the latest every night.
5. I wrote and directed my first play when I was a senior in high school.
6. I had my first book signing when I was a freshmen in college.
7. My children are the result of an internet marriage.
8. I am always cold. I sleep with a comforter all year long.
9. My favorite food is pizza. I hope there is pizza in Heaven
10. My favorite store is Wal-Mart. I hope there is Wal-Mart in Heaven.
11. I’ve written and published 7 books.
12. I HATE BUGS!! (What’s the point of roaches again??)
13. The first thing I look at on a person are their teeth.
14. I hate to see boogers in people’s noses. I pick my kids noses daily.
15. I’m starting a non profit to help children.
Well…here’s a little about me. Hope you enjoyed my list.